Nord Stream owns and operates a strategic infrastructure that links Russia to
the EU for long term supply of natural gas.
Nord Stream is committed to the best in terms of safety and reliability of
gas transportation, and wants to comply with the highest professional
standards related to its activity. Within this framework a comprehensive
pipeline integrity management system has been developed in the early years of
operation and is being implemented. One of the most advanced elements of the
system is Offshore Repair Strategy.
Nord Stream Offshore Repair Strategy aims at providing optimal repair
preparedness. A significant damage to the Nord Stream pipelines is very
unlikely since most of it is offshore and the design is very robust. However
in the event damages to the pipeline would jeopardize integrity and threaten
gas transportation capability, the consequences would be quite substantial
and it was decided to invest into a contingency setup.
The Nord Stream Repair Strategy consists of following elements:
• Proper organizational structure including internal organization and
agreements with appropriate contractors
• Availability of necessary spares
• Long-lead items of repair equipment to be procured, stored and
• Upfront development of procedures for all possible repair cases
• Availability of qualified and trained personnel in accordance with the
The presentation describes the process of development of Nord Stream Repair
Strategy and reports on its current status.